Words

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Monday, April 29, 2013

On The Lookout For Good Food

On a trip to Ramsgate today, to visit my sister's stepdaughter Kylie who is 34 weeks pregnant. When we arrived in Ramsgate she was still at the hospital having a blood test and we were hungry and needed the loo, so how fortuitous was it that just down the street from where Kylie lives is a little place called the Lookout Cafe.



Situated on Government Acre recreation ground beside Prince Edward's promenade on top of West Cliff, the Lookout sure doesn't look promising to begin with, but I have always been a firm believer that you can't judge a book (or restaurant) by its cover (or its peeling paint and faded signage).

How true that is. There's an extensive menu for starters.

Lots of homemade cakes on the counter, and really reasonable prices! Click on the pic to enlarge and read the menu.

It seems the Lookout has a lot of fans who appreciate good food made fresh and fast. There were a lot of people coming in for teas, bacon sandwiches and ice creams, the tables outside were busy, and we all looked at the menu with rumbling tummies. We decided on the large breakfast. This has to be one of the best value for money meals I have ever partaken of.

For £5 (yes, five pounds!!) you get two sausage, two bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, eggs, beans and toast or fried bread. Here's mine...

I got fried bread. There are two slices under the eggs, and they also gave me two more pieces on the side.
Laura and Sis got theirs with toast, and the toast came on two side plates.


We ate this around lunchtime and I didn't feel the urge to eat anything else until about 8pm. For sheer value for money you can't beat it, but I have to say it was bloody tasty too. The mushrooms were epic - properly cooked but still semi-firm, not limp. The bacon was well cooked but still moist and juicy. The sausages were nice, the beans were great, and the hash browns perfectly crispy on the outside and light and fluffy inside. The tomatoes held together but weren't too firm (unlike the ones I ate at the White Lion the other week). Laura and Sis couldn't manage all their toast so after I'd polished off all my fried bread (which was light and crispy and not soggy with grease) I had a bite or two of the toast.

Incredible value for five quid a pop and a heck of a nice view of the seafront as well. I do have to say, next time I'm in Ramsgate, I'm coming here. There is so much more yummy stuff to try...



If I could give it more than 5 yums out of 5 I would.  Rock on!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on and chew the fat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...