Words

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Delicioso

It had been requested recently by Amy that we have enchiladas for dinner and I readily agreed, because as you may know, I am always more than happy to pound down some full-on screamin' Mexican chow at a moments' notice. However, Amy is not only a vegetarian in a houseful of boy-carnivores, but a vegetarian who doesn't care for mushrooms, beans or rice. OK then.

After our nice wee lunch at The Chequers, we headed to Tesco to buy supplies. Tortillas? Check. Onions, peppers, courgettes etc? Check. Monterey Jack cheese? No sirree. Tesco is a virtual cheese wasteland and we would have had to go to Waitrose or possibly somewhere more exotic than even that to find Monterey Jack. We did not have the luxury of time so we made do, which is what we do when we are up against it. When I say we, I mean the Royal We, as opposed to the Royal Wee, which is something different. So - grated mozzarella (actually it's the pretend mozzarella, which is very similar in texture and strength to MJ cheese. Enchilada sauce.... um... ok, yes. Check. I also got some mild Canadian Cheddar just for grins. Salsa? Check. Good, I think that is all.

So I headed home and the first thing I did was to sauté some coarsely chopped veggies (onions, peppers, a little garlic, courgette) in a splosh of EVOO, and some enchilada seasoning that came with the jar of sauce.  Then I took the seasoned and sautéed veggies and combined them with the grated cheese. This mixture was then used to fill the tortillas and then they were laid side-by-side in a baking dish, topped with sauce and some extra cheese. For the boys I did essentially the same thing but adding in some chicken. Then I baked them in a 175 C oven for about 15 or 20 minutes.

How were they? Look and see for yourself.







I am afraid I cheated a bit on the side dishes, with a little help from Uncle Ben and Old El Paso.


I'd forgotten that refried beans are actually quite salty.
Of course, Mexican food goes great with Mexican beer. Trouble is, Brahma, a Brazilian brew, was considerably less expensive than Sol, San Miguel or Corona. What the hey.

Chilling in the fridge.


Lime wedges at the ready.

Sorted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on and chew the fat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...