Words

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Smidgen of This & A Soupçon of That

I was out and about today in Ashford and Tenterden, and in my travels I took lots of piccies, some of them food-related, and while I don't have a specific topic in mind, I thought it worthwhile posting them here.

First, I went to Debenhams department store, and as the festive season is upon us, it comes as no surprise that there are lots of foodie gifts available. What I didn't expect, though, was this...

Now I really have seen it all. Monty Python beer. In a bottle. Complete with pint glass. For the Python fan who, um, likes beer.
After leaving Debenhams we stopped for a coffee at Muffin Break. Now I've talked about Muffin Break before but failed to get any really good shots of the yummies on offer. This time I rectified the situation.


These are scones as big as your fist.

Yes, their muffins are square.



After enduring the thrill-a-minute ride of the 400 bus back to Tenterden, we had lunch at the White Lion Hotel in town and enjoyed some lovely Fish & Chips from their 2 for £10 menu, where you can get 2 main meals for £10 from a selection of about 10 items.

I had mine with mushy peas. Mmm.

After that we went to Waitrose to pick up a few odds and ends of grocery. As I have stated before, Waitrose is a high-quality supermarket, and consequently is a bit on the pricey side. Best to look out for the reduced items and specials. However, I am definitely getting me some of these for Christmas...



We got back home and I immediately started on dinner. I browned some lean mince (ground beef for those of you Stateside) with some chopped onion, halved cherry tomatoes, chopped red peppers and yellow peppers, courgettes (zucchini), mushrooms, and a jar of Loyd Grossman's Tomato and Sweet Red Pepper sauce...


...and added a liberal splash of Worcestershire Sauce, a couple squirts of HP Sauce, some chopped fresh basil, and a sprinkle of Bisto gravy granules and a soupçon of Olive Oil, and let it simmer together for about half an hour. 


Then I cooked some spaghetti and served it on top with a sprinkle of grated cheddar. How was it? Well, there's none left, if that tells you anything.

Kooshti sante!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on and chew the fat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...