Words

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Answer: Satay

Well, even though it has only been 5 days since I last posted, it sure seems a lot longer. It's certainly been an age since the last Name This Food! instalment, and since nobody answered the question, due perhaps to inability to do so or sheer apathy, I need to put you all out of your anguish and misery and answer the teaser. (In fairness, I did receive a correct answer, but not on the blog comments, and it was from my girlfriend, and that was simply due to the fact that it was something I had made for a dish I cooked for her.)


So, to refresh y'alls memory, this was the item I posted:


And what was it? It was a nice Satay sauce, a major component of many Thai dishes. And what was the meal that I cooked for my beloved? It was Beef Satay, or Satay Beef, whichever you prefer. Here, my friends, is the obligatory recipe:


ingredients


serves 6
A nice piece of rump steak or sirloin, about 750 g (1 lb 10 oz), trimmed

marinade

1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2.5 cm (1 inch) piece ginger root, peeled and grated
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp dark brown sugar
1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
1 tbsp vegetable oil

sauce


I can coconut milk
3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 red chili, grated
1/2 red onion, grated
1 tsp lemon or lime juice
salt and pepper


method

1. Using a sharp knife, trim any fat from the beef, then cut into thin strips.

2. To make the marinade, place all the ingredients in a shallow dish and mix well. Add the chicken or beef strips and turn in the marinade until well coated.
Cover with cling film (plastic wrap) and leave to marinate for 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.

3. Remove the meat from the marinade and thread the pieces, concertina style, on pre-soaked bamboo or thin wooden skewers. (Note: I did not do this. Too fiddly for my liking, I just stir-fried the beef with some of the marinade.)

4. Grill (broil) the beef satays for 8 - 10 minutes, turning and
brushing occasionally with the marinade, until cooked through. (Unless you are stir-frying the beef like I did, of course.)

5. Meanwhile, to make the sauce, mix all ingredients in a wide saucepan or high-sided skillet. Bring just to the boil, stirring all the while, and simmer for a few minutes (This makes plenty, so you will have some left over for lunch the next day. Toss it with some cooked pasta.). Season to taste.

6. Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl and serve with the cooked satays. (What I did was to make some rice and stir-fried veggies, place some of the beef strips on top of the rice and drizzle with the sauce. I stir-fried the veg in a wok with some canola oil, a tablespoon of soy sauce and a teaspoon of chili vinegar.)

Anyway folks, tinker with it and see what you can come up with.

Here's your next challenge, and I expect at the very least a lukewarm reponse, which would be better than none at all...

Name This Food!

4 comments:

  1. too easy
    i think uncle jim called them tiddy oggy or mabe that was some other cornish delight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well mum, as far as I can tell, tiddy oggy only has potato in it... for clarification see http://www.cornishpasties.org.uk/tiddyoggy.htm

    However, you are right, it was too easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looked at that maybe it was tiddly oggy meaning proper pasty after all he had been in the Navy

    ReplyDelete

Come on and chew the fat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...